Websearchinc.net is a browser hijacker, which is promoted via other free downloads. Once installed, it will change your default browser homepage and default search engine to websearchinc.net.
This browser hijacker will display advertisements and sponsored links in your search results, and may collect search terms from your queries. Websearchinc.net's purpose is to boost advertising revenue via the use of blackhat SEO.
While Websearchinc.net technically isn't a virus, it does exhibit multiple malicious traits, such as rootkit capabilities to hook to the operating system, hijacking the browser, etc.
Steps to Remove Websearchinc.net
- Click the "Customize and Control Google Chrome" button at the top of the page.
- Go to "Settings"
- Go to "Extensions"
- Look for an item that is suspicous or one you don't remember installing.
- Remove the item in the extensions.
- Websearchinc.net may have an Uninstall Programs entry, so be sure to check the Control Panel just in case.
It is recommended you do a full computer scan with Malwarebytes, Adware Cleaner, or Hitman Pro to ensure the infection (or even other viruses/hijackers) are not still on your system.
How was I infected?
Websearchinc.net gets on computers after installing a freeware program such as video recording, download managers, or PDF creators) that have this search engine bundled into their installation. VPlay is one of many examples.
- ↑ MalwareTips.com: Remove Websearchinc.net hijacker (Removal Guide). http://malwaretips.com/blogs/websearchinc-net-virus/. Retrieved 2014-07-18